January 27, 2010

Stinging hands

Today I made it back into the studio to throw some pots. Since December, I've been doing a lot of piddling around that has kept me from getting there any earlier, as well as knowing of the threat of a cold studio and clay that was waiting for me. Although winter projects have been getting crossed off the list (as more keep adding to the list), I heard the call beckoning me back to the studio and ventured in. And as always, I'm happy I did.

As I wedged this extremely icy cold clay, despite my hands stinging and burning with each movement of the clay, I couldn't help but like this painful feeling of my hands. The excitement of feeling the clay between my hands is all that it takes to hone me in. At the wheel, it's amazing how you can just hop right back on and get lost into throwing again. For me, I always feel a bit rusty with my first pots I make after taking a break, so it might be a few days before I feel like I'm in my groove again. But a start was all I wanted from these hands today, even though they were freezing!

I'll leave you with this quote I've carried around with me for a while:
"Anything worth doing is worth doing again and again." Carl Andre

4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I hope you had some wartm water for your hands!
And the quote- yes it is!

cookingwithgas said...

that would be warm water!

jimgottuso said...

i know what you mean... went to the basement to get another box of extremely cold clay yesterday and wedging it made my hands ache.

Linda Starr said...

when I read the title to your post for some reason I read it as "singing hands" and thought of your hands singing while they are working in clay.