January 31, 2010

Pizza Night

Important things in between pot making: I've eaten homemade pizza two different nights in one week because I've found the best pizza crust recipe ever in the book below!

I've been making my own bread for a while now. I use a really easy no-knead bread recipe that you let rise for 18 hours and have enjoyed making different variations of white, wheat, rye, herb, fruit and nut breads. This book pictured below has taken me further into the world of bread baking. Now I'm exploring the use of a pizza peel to carry the bread dough or pizza to a preheated baking stone. It has changed my life! I make a big batch of pizza dough and take off what I want for that night, bake it, and refrigerate the rest of the dough, which lasts for about two weeks in the fridge before I want to make another. Only this week it lasted just a couple of days before I was craving pizza again! The loaf bread recipes in the book work the same way, you make a batch large enough for 4 loaves, let it rise a couple of hours, refrigerate it, then tear off a portion of the dough, bake and voila! Instant gourmet bread. It really doesn't get any easier than that.

The pizza crust I used from this book was an olive oil crust. Bon appetit!

5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Tom Gray took me down this path last year and it is a great book.
All the bread with no work.
I took firebricks, cleaned them and put them in the oven.
I throw my pizza, which is on foil with oil , right on top of the bricks.
Oh my gosh! Makes a great pizza.

HENHOUSE POTTERY said...

My sister-in-law gave me that book for Christmas, and I've held off trying the recipe because I don't have a stone. I like Meredith's idea to use firebricks instead, so I may try it out this week.

Joy Tanner said...

I like the firebrick idea, that's awesome!

If you don't have a stone you can use a regular baking sheet too. I've done it once before and preheated it in the oven like it says in the recipe. (I did 450degrees instead of 550 like the book says just to reduce the smoke)

It'll still make a great crust!

Altho I do favor a stone for all of my bread, cookies and biscuits. Just seems to make everything better!

JR said...

We have this book and love it. The Challah is amazing, we made it the other night
Here is a photo
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41126263

T.Gray said...

that's one good looking pie!

as always, gorgeous pots too.