January 28, 2010

Bowls and Surprises

So the first few things I've been throwing back at the wheel are some bowls. It's an easy warm up to begin with. These above are soon to be ridge bowls. I also played around with some new smaller porcelain bowls, trying each one a bit different to see what I like best later.

I've been gearing up for another snow event about to hit this weekend, predicted to be like the last one that was almost 2 feet around here. Today I was getting firewoood ready and attempting at cleaning up the yard and gutters from the last storm. But I was immediately distracted by finding these interesting things, broken off from a yucca plant. It's the freshest green thing I've seen for months! I've never really noticed what each blade is like underneath. I like how all the peeling layers of each blade come together at the base, like nestling bowls, as well as the creamy white tones tapering into yellow green to rich green hues. Hmm....inspiring item for the studio to ponder, no doubt.


A small surprise, but you'll take anything when it's January and you're craving spring!

4 comments:

traceybroome@mindspring.com said...

So great to see some green! We have snow coming here too and I have been bringing up firewood and trying to stay outside as much as possible on this very warm day. We used to think we wanted to move to the Mts. but reading all of the bloggers up that way sort of makes me want to re think that plan :) stay warm....

ang said...

oooh lovely bowls, really cool the way you alter the form... a lot more summer here to go, hoping you're keeping warm in your studio..

cookingwithgas said...

great bowls and we are all ready for some green!

Katey Schultz said...

sounds like the weather has continued to be like december was (while i was still there). how's the house? the road? using the meditation hut much? i know what you mean about seeing green things. i got super excietd the other day about beech leaves. not green, but still - visibly alive!