August 25, 2009

In the moment

I have a particular fascination for making cairns about the yard with the various rocks I've found digging up gardens, kiln pads, etc. It's fun to see them during the day, their presence making me feel connected and grounded, reminding me to be content with the present moment.

This particular present moment in the studio is feeling a little cramped as I continue to crank out pots faster than I have time to bisque fire them and get them moved around. The list is shrinking and soon I will cut myself off and begin glazing. Still have another week or so to keep my hands dirty, though...I have this habit of pushing the making til the last minute possible...'if I could just get some of these made, and some of these, oh, and I definitely need some of these.'

6 comments:

jimgottuso said...

maybe that desire to make cairns is genetic... i assume that the tanners hail from the british isles and they've been building up piles of stones forever. nice big oval dishes

cindy shake said...

I love cairns. The best part is to see a surprise cairn in Nature -someone that has left a gift for someone else to see. We can find them along the Seward Highway, a scenic byway where the mountains meet the Cook Inlet. They are especially lovely in a sunset.

BMCA Clay Studio said...

Joy, you need to come and play with will and i we make cairns all the time just about everywhere we go.
love the oval dishes, nice wrapping texture effect.

annie said...

this is me, annie.

Gina said...

What a great meaning you've found in your cairns!

I like those pots! Enjoy your one more week of keeping your hands dirty!

marystarosta said...

Joy, Love LOVE your oval bakers and the texture and the way you go about designing them! Really love the second one with the smooth bottomw half and textured upper half! Very cool style!