I've been pretty busy rolling along in the studio. I finished these carved porcelain mugs. They are slightly bigger than my usual mugs and the handles I made a little bigger this time, too. More like a three finger mug, or definite two finger for those with larger fingers. I also changed the angle of the handle slightly, gave it a little tilt that may mirror the mug form better. Handles are infinitely hard. These wall pieces below are drying upside down before I can continue more finishing on them. The clay slabs are pretty soft so I have to wait a while before I can flip them over.
I've got pots in all stages all around, and I'm moving around the studio hopping from various things: throw a new board of pots, trim a board, carve some, slip some, texture, add handles. I need to load a bisque kiln because my carts are filling up and there's no room for the in between pots anymore.
I'm going off to teach tonight, so today will be a lighter studio day. We built a test soda kiln converted from an old electric kiln down at Arts Centered so the students will be glazing for that and we're going to fire it off on Saturday. I'm excited to see how she fires because I'm going to build one of those this summer over here so I can have a few more firings with a quicker turnaround in between my bigger soda firings.