I made these slightly squared bowls out of a "porcelaineous stoneware" this time, or so it's called. It's not pure porcelain, yet it has some of the same qualities in the firing results as porcelain. It is also finicky to work with. These three bowls cracked in 3 different spots, even when you compress it like crazy, be mindful of thick areas, and treat it gently, it still has a mind of its own. I hope the rest of the bowls will make it through the firing. I really think they will be nicer to have a brighter glaze in them than when I was making them out of stoneware.
I finished the baskets you see in the picture with the small lug handles on the top. After the firing, I hand weave a tall reed handle onto those pieces.
These cups are something new I'm playing around with for fun. Some of them I left as cups without handles and some of them I tried handles in different spots to see which I like best. I think I might like the ones without the handles best. I had been thinking of teacups, but these turned out rather large, like larger mugs. Maybe I'll have to sketch out a different smaller form for teacups. Anyway, it's nice to play around and try some new things in small batches rather than my usual way of doing things when I'm scheduled to fire a whole kiln load. I'm just putting a few pots in Will's next wood firing in a couple of weeks.