November 17, 2008

I wish I had a piano

After getting back from the show this weekend, I finished up loading the kiln for a bisque firing tomorrow. Then I had some pots to sort out and disperse into some local galleries before the Toe River Arts studio stroll that is coming up after Thanksgiving. I might get a few more pots made before the wood firing this weekend, we shall see. Nothing much more to report that's exciting, just trying to get grounded from being away.

Random thought aside from pottery: I've been listening to classical piano music all day. Growing up I used to play the piano and have been away from it since high school, now only to play on occasional trips home, where I awkwardly play through books of songs once so easily memorized like the back of my hand. Lately I've been craving to play and I wish that I had a piano. I also wish it would return easily and fluidly like it used to come to me, but I know I have grown rusty after all these years. Sometimes I just want to feel those goose bump moments again while playing music. It is something that soothes me and grounds me to my place in time.

7 comments:

Deborah Woods said...

You know, you can get a pretty sweet keyboard that will give you all the range you need to play piano, for really inexpensive now. Maybe you can consider that.

Michael Kline said...

Please come and play our little upright piano. Unfortunately it is a little dusty. Evelyn was taking lessons but didn't stay with it. We would love to have you over sometime for dinner and a song.

Kyle Carpenter said...

i'd like to talk to you about the show. i'm wondering if i should try and jury into it. i hope it went well.

Sarah-potterknitter said...

We have a piano that no one ever uses. It needs tuning and probably some pads replaced. At the moment it sounds like the saloon piano that Ralph plays on the Muppet Show! But I have had it looked at in the last few years and it was deemed fixable. So if you're interested, round up a truck and a few strong backs!

Michael Kline said...

Michael and Naomi helped us move our piano. Their truck has a tommy-lift which made it much easier. But they are leaving for Korea soon.

Benjamin Gufford Pottery said...

I listen to all kinds of music in the studio from classical, rap, electronic, bluegrass, jazz, Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern, blues, anything to throw to. However, I have for the past year taken up playing blues guitar and enjoy the emotional release, almost as much as throwing. Your pots get more appealing each time I see them. Keep potting!

Joy Tanner said...

Thanks for the ideas everyone!
Sarah, you're really tempting me! I'll let you know...I better think on it a bit. I do have a piano, technically, my family said I could have the one I grew up playing, but I'm waiting to move it to where I live until I'm more settled.