June 10, 2008

It's all in the details


Today I threw some teapot bodies. I like to make several at a time and work on them all at once, adding each part to all of them at the same time. They take me a while to finish with all the carving and various parts, but they are my favorite thing to make. Linda loaned me this mirror that I placed in front of my wheel. I had never used one throwing before, but it really is helpful to glance up and see the form without having to bend over so much. I also took on another great tip from Linda, last winter, and elevated my wheel up off the ground and raised my stool. I end up not having to lean over as much, which I think will help my back in the long run of throwing. It took a while to get used to and I thought I couldn't throw for a while, but now I don't even think about it.

So these two fired teapots I've been holding onto, and now are going beneath a scrutinizing eye in the studio. I'm sticking to this same form, but always am trying to achieve a full, vibrant pot! I hope the handle will be fuller next time, although some of them I put reed handles on. My newest addition from last firing, was the little keys on the lid on the front of the pot, which is on the teapot on the right. My knobs are purposely directional. I like the high point of the knob pointing away from the spout, which makes the form feel more complete and balanced. By putting the key on my teapot now, people will know which way I intend for the lid and knob to sit. I like having the power to decide that! This is a picky detail, but, it's all in the details!



Bark Basket awaiting flashing slip on the outside

Baskets

No comments: