June 21, 2008

Ahh...Fresh Clay

I really love the clean fresh line on the clay from the trimming tool and the rib. It's nice when you have a good trimming day. I finished these bowls up the other day and was busy yesterday working at Linda McFarling's studio helping her prepare for a workshop she's teaching. Today I'll be back in the studio, throwing new pots and finishing things already thrown that are under plastic.

I'm firing the kiln in early July so I have a lot to finish in this next week. Tomorrow I'm headed off to Knoxville for the evening for my nephews 3 year old birthday bash. I'll swing back through Asheville on Monday to get some clay at Highwater. I've been recycling my clay all along for a while and thought I had enough for this cycle. Now am in a crunch and am getting low for the next couple of weeks. There won't be enough time to reclaim clay and get it dry in time for use, so I'll have to buy some to make the last pots.

If you're in the area soon, you should go up to Roan Mountain. Right now the azaleas and rhododendron are in full bloom. The Roan is my favorite place to go hiking; a scenic stretch of the Appalachian Trail that skirts the Tennessee and North Carolina border. It welcomes beautiful views while walking along tall grassy balds. Hopefully next week I'll get up there to capture some pictures. I like to go around 7 or 8 at night when the sun is setting. I love the light at that time of night. This is a view from Round Bald, near Roan Mountain, that Will took last fall.


Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Michael Kline said...

You are so right, the Roan is beautiful now. It's one of our favorite places in the world, and it's so close! Unfortunately we only get up there a couple of times a year. We try to go up once each season. Maybe we should schedule it more often. That Will Baker is a good photographer.