May 30, 2008

City Day

Today I went down to Asheville to drop off an order at the Grovewood Gallery. Then I went to Black Mountain to visit with my friend, Annie Singletary, a fellow resident artist from my time at Odyssey. She has been and still is a major facilitator in getting the new clay studio up and running at the Black Mountain Center for the Arts. It's a nice studio, offering classes, workshops and open studio hours. A while back I photographed some images of Annie's work for a sweet trade of one of her pieces, so I got to come home with a great bowl! It's always refreshing to be around Annie's enthusiasm.


I also made my way over to the Asheville Art Museum to view "Let it Pour", a pitcher exhibit donated from the James Goode Collection. James Goode was a professor, author and a curator for the Smithsonian Institution Building. He is a passionate pitcher collector and has given a portion of his collection to the Asheville Art Museum. The collection is on display until September 14, with an artist's talk from Cynthia Bringle on June 27.

James purchased one of my pitchers for his collection last year at the Southern Highland Craft Fair, so I've been anxious to go see this collection to see if mine happened to be there. It wasn't there yet, but maybe James just isn't ready to give it up yet. I am very honored to be in his collection, and was admiring many pitchers from familiar potters up in this area around Penland and the Seagrove area.


After my busy day in the city, it was nice to return home where it was cooler, quiet, and a much slower pace.

No comments: